Friday, March 16, 2007

Running Again (without knee pain)

I'm a runner again. Not a big time runner; just about 15 miles a week over 3 days. I tried running when I was a lot heavier, but it didn't work for me because of my knees. I was running some 5k races and I was really bad. The first race I ran in I finished next to last... that's if you don't count the nurse. The guy running behind me was about 90 and he was running with his geriatric nurse. As I said, I had to stop running because of my knees. They started hurting so much that after the last race I literally had to crawl across the floor when I got home. The doctor said that it was bursitis. It's a repetitive motion injury where these little sacs of fluid called bursae get irritated. I attributed those injuries to my weight and I quit running until I could take off some weight. Well here I am, 4 years later and 50 pounds lighter and I'm running again. Things are going well. I'm training for a 15k run in Birmingham, AL called the ("Statue to Statue"). I still have to be careful with my knees and recently I learned that I need fish oil because of what it does for my joints. I went without it for a couple of weeks and boy did I miss it. All the popping and cracking and pain in my knees let me know that if I'm going to run, I'm going to have to take in the right nutrients. Here's a link to an article from HealthLine about some more benefits of fish oil: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/13-benefits-of-fish-oil#section15. We'll see you further on up the road.

No comments: