Thursday, March 29, 2007

Running Downhill

You can find all types of advice about how to run downhill and I say listen to it all. Listen to it all, and then listen to your body. We are all quite unique and our bodies are built to handle physical challenges in different ways. If we take all of the rational reasons and other people's experiences and feed them to our intuition, our bodies will tell us what's best for us and why. In regard to running downhill on road surfaces, here's what I've found works for me: 1) Lean forward slightly. Looking down about 4 or 5 feet in front of me helps me with this. I used to lean back and resist the hill, but this is too slow and why work your legs by breaking when you don't have to. 2) Take medium strides with little foot lift. The ground is declining, so too much foot lift will result in excess stress on your knees and ankles. 3) Let gravity do it's thing. Don't be afraid to go faster than normal. I'll see you further on up the road.

No comments: